Saturday, March 2, 2013

Please allow me to re-introduce myself...

Hello world...

It's been a while.  When I last posted here, I was genuinely looking forward to making more contributions to the world of pitchf/x and baseball analysis.  But you know the line...life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.  Since that time, I've changed careers, had a couple of awesome kids, and most recently blown out my shoulder.  Among other things.  

Who knew that throwing 9 innings every spring and summer weekend with nothing in between for 10 years would damage your shoulder?  

Just kidding.  Of course I knew it would happen eventually, and I don't regret a thing about it.* 
But that's left a baseball sized hole in my life.  And while I've been meaning to do something related to baseball analysis for quite a while, I haven't really been able to make the time for it.  There was always something else needing my attention.  That changes starting now. 

I've kept a bit of an eye on the community since 2008, but I've not been seriously engaged. That changes now too.  I've got a couple of projects in the works, one of which may potentially be very useful to at least one pitchf/x blogger I know.  But I don't want to give much away just yet, because I'm not entirely sure these are going to work as well as I think they should.  After these, I have an idea or two I'd like to explore, and then....well, the 'and then' isn't mapped out at all.  Suggestions are always nice.

Anyway, within the next few days, I should have at least one of my little projects in a place to publish something.  If I don't I'll at least post something that sets it up a bit.


Happy baseball season!




*[An interesting aside...I could probably still keep playing.  It turned out I finished the season throwing submarine.  That was the only way I could throw without the excruciating pain in my shoulder.  What I lost in velocity, I more than gained in movement.  And I could still keep the ball close enough to the plate that I was still in that sweet zone of being able to easily induce those college kids into swinging at pitches they had no business swinging at.  The only trouble was that there was no muscle memory for those new mechanics.  Once I started to get tired, that was it.  The ball would just go everywhere.  When I threw overhand, muscle memory was enough to get me into and through those late innings with decent velocity and little loss of control.  I never realized how much it mattered before.  Anyway, at the end of the year, our manager decided to hang it up.  Having no idea at all how long (if at all) I could keep up this submarine stuff, it's probably for the best that I do too...]

No comments: